Dudley house stays boarded up after anti-social behaviour complaints
Dudley house stays boarded up after complaints

A house in Pensnett, Dudley, will remain boarded up after police extended a closure order following persistent complaints about crime and anti-social behaviour. The privately owned property on Rookery Park Road was shut down earlier this year after causing issues for nearby residents.

Officers described the home as a 'hotspot' for crime, and a three-month closure order was granted in May. That order has now been extended until November 11, meaning the occupier and any other persons are still prohibited from entering the address.

What the extended order means

Anyone who enters the property or remains on the premises without a reasonable excuse is committing an offence. Failure to abide by the order is punishable by a fine, imprisonment, or both.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

The extension was secured through joint working between the Brierley Hill Neighbourhood team and Dudley Borough Council, who continue to safeguard the community from those turning up at the address and committing crime at all hours of the day.

Police response to community concerns

Brierley Hill Sergeant Rebecca Lilley said: “By working alongside our partners at the council we’ve been able to get this further order passed, so I hope it reassures those in the community that we’re continuing to listen to their feedback.

“Since the previous order was put in place we’ve seen a significant decrease in incidents being reported to us and improvements for residents in the area. The risk remains which is why restrictions at the address are still necessary.

“We know the crime being committed in and around this house was causing serious concern and bringing misery to residents so it’s great that we’ve been able to keep the order in place. Our stance remains the same, if anyone is found to be breaching it, we will arrest you and you will be dealt with.”

Council backs decisive action

Cllr Ian Bevan, cabinet member for housing and homelessness, said: “We welcome the court’s decision to extend the closure order on this property, which has been a constant cause of concern for its neighbours.

“The tenants’ criminal and anti-social behaviour has been affecting the whole community and we are committed to taking action against those who blight their neighbourhoods. This outcome demonstrates the value of the strong partnership working between the council and the police.

“By working together and responding to concerns raised by the community, we have been able to take decisive action to protect residents and improve the quality of life for people living nearby. We would encourage residents to continue reporting incidents of crime and antisocial behaviour, as community information plays a vital role in helping us take action and keep our neighbourhoods safe.”

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration