Welfare campaigners have warned Prime Minister Andy Burnham not to cut benefits for young people, as a coalition of 40 leading charities co-signed a letter urging him to avoid repeating a controversial proposal from his predecessor, Sir Keir Starmer.
The Labour Party government, which replaced Sir Keir Starmer last month, has been urged not to slash Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) handouts for young claimants. The letter, addressed to Makerfield MP Mr. Burnham, comes ahead of the Autumn Budget on October 28, which he will deliver alongside Chancellor John Healey.
Charities Appeal for Fairness in Welfare Reform
The letter, signed by 40 organisations including Save the Children and Barnardos, acknowledges the government's commitment to addressing the growing number of young people not in education, employment or training (Neets). It states: “We welcome your commitment to tackling the growing number of young people who are not in education, employment or training [Neets] through a fair and sustainable approach to change.”
The charities also expressed encouragement at the Prime Minister’s recognition that “crude cuts to benefit levels are not the answer to reducing social security spending.” The signatories said evidence had shown that “cutting benefits worsens health and deepens poverty.”
Plaid Cymru Warns Against Discriminatory Policy
Plaid Cymru’s DWP spokesperson Ann Davies MP added her voice to the concerns, stating: “Plaid Cymru has already made it clear to the UK government that restricting the health element of Universal Credit arbitrarily to people aged 22 and over would be unfair and discriminatory.”
Davies also reiterated Plaid Cymru’s long-standing call for the welfare system to be devolved to Wales, saying: “We can get to grips with the specific challenges that our communities face and provide support that would help everyone reach their potential.”
A Westminster proposal published last year for consultation under Sir Keir Starmer suggested delaying access to the health element of Universal Credit (UC) within a reformed welfare system until someone reached the age of 22.
Charity Leaders Call for Support, Not Sanctions
Action for Children’s Lucy Schonegevel said: “If ministers want better outcomes for disabled young people, the evidence points to earlier intervention, tailored support and genuinely meaningful job and volunteering opportunities, not sanctions or cuts.”
Scope’s James Taylor added: “Any cuts to the health element of universal credit will only push more young disabled people into poverty, not jobs.”



