Plans have been submitted to transform the base of Knights House in Sutton Coldfield town centre, a site plagued by reports of drug taking and anti-social behaviour, into a new restaurant and retail unit. VV Living has applied to ‘infill’ the undercroft area and build an extension creating two flexible commercial units, one of which would be a restaurant with a mezzanine floor.
Knights House, located at the end of the Parade in the heart of Sutton Coldfield, was originally an office block before being converted into apartments. The ground floor area has been boarded off for some time, with hoardings attracting complaints from residents and shoppers. Councillor David Pears, representing Sutton Trinity, said he had been told by members of the public about drug taking and anti-social behaviour at the site.
Extension plans for two commercial units
The application, number 2026/00444/PA, was registered on August 10 and is currently in a public consultation period. The proposal includes an infill of the existing undercroft and an extension to create two flexible commercial units. One unit would be in the new extension and would include a mezzanine floor, while the other would be a retail unit.
The development would create 335 square metres of new internal floorspace. The application references the site being used for the ‘sale of food and drink for consumption mostly on the premises’, indicating restaurant use. It also states the project would create 20 much-needed jobs.
This is not the first time such plans have been put forward. Permission was granted eight years ago for a restaurant, office and mezzanine floor, but the work was never carried out. The current proposal resurrects those ambitions, with the document stating: “Infill of existing under croft and extension to create two flexible commercial units.”
Trouble spot and eyesore
The site sits on a gateway into Sutton Coldfield, visible to motorists coming from Mill Street and to railway passengers walking past Knights House on their way into the town centre or Sutton Park. The overgrown and boarded-off base has become a focal point for complaints, with Cllr Pears saying: “I have been told by residents, allegedly about drug taking and anti-social behaviour. It is a bit of an eyesore.”
He added: “People have said to me there have been issues. People at the shopping centre have said they have seen drug taking and all sorts going on there. The application is better than what is there at the moment.” The councillor welcomed any changes to clean up the site, noting that any new retail or restaurant use would be an improvement. “If we can get some sort of retail or something people want, it’s got to be better than that. Whatever they have has got to fit in with people in Knights House. And the hoardings have been there too long too,” he said.
Potential operating hours and next steps
The application does not specify opening times for the restaurant. However, a Sound Insulation Assessment by Parker Jones Acoustics, submitted with the application, noted that the previous approval allowed a restaurant to operate between 8am and 11.30pm ‘and it is anticipated similar hours will apply under the new application’.
The proposal is now subject to public consultation. If approved, the development would replace the boarded-up area with active commercial use, potentially reducing the anti-social behaviour that has been reported at the site. The final decision will be made by Birmingham City Council following the consultation period.



