Jury Deliberates in Telford Mum's Murder Trial Over Baby's Fractured Skull
Jury Deliberates in Telford Mum Murder Trial

Jurors have retired to consider their verdict in the case of a mother accused of murdering her seven-week-old baby by fracturing her skull. Sarah Ngaba, 32, admits causing 'dreadful, life-shortening and life-limiting' head injuries to her daughter Eliza Ngaba, which contributed to her death from an infection over two years later. However, she denies murder, claiming she is instead guilty of infanticide.

Trial Details

The trial at Birmingham Crown Court heard that Ngaba, formerly of Briarwood in Brookside, Telford, was previously convicted of causing grievous bodily harm to her daughter. She was charged with murder after Eliza, who was born in London, died at age two from a respiratory infection in August 2022. The infection was exacerbated by injuries sustained in an assault in November 2019.

Prosecutor Jonas Hankin KC told the court that on November 13, 2019, Ngaba took a bath and bought a lottery ticket before taking Eliza to the hospital in a taxi. He stated that the sole issue for the jury is whether Ngaba's mind was disturbed at the time of the attack, and if that disturbance was partly caused by a failure to fully recover from childbirth.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Legal Arguments

There is no dispute that Ngaba unlawfully caused Eliza's death or that she intended to cause serious harm. Mr. Hankin said: 'The only issue in this trial is whether the defence of infanticide applies. If it does, the defendant is guilty of infanticide. If it does not, she is guilty of murder.'

The jury has heard expert psychiatric evidence and retired to consider their verdict on Tuesday afternoon. Trial judge Mrs Justice Brunner KC told jurors not to feel pressured by time in reaching their verdict.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration