King Charles Breaks Silence on Brother Andrew's Historic Royal Arrest
In an unprecedented development for the modern monarchy, King Charles has publicly addressed the arrest of his brother Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on suspicion of misconduct in public office. The monarch issued a formal statement at midday on Thursday, February 19, 2026, expressing his profound concern while emphasizing that the legal process must proceed without interference.
Unprecedented Royal Investigation Underway
Thames Valley Police confirmed the arrest earlier on Thursday morning, following allegations connected to documents released from files relating to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein. Police officers conducted simultaneous searches at properties in Berkshire and Norfolk as part of their investigation. This marks the first time a senior member of the modern British monarchy has been arrested, creating a constitutional and historical landmark.
Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright stated that a formal investigation has now commenced. "Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office," Wright confirmed. "It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence. We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time."
King's Full Statement Released
In his carefully worded statement, King Charles said: "I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office. What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities."
The King continued: "In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation. Let me state clearly: the law must take its course. As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all. Charles R."
Timing and Palace Response
The arrest occurred just days after Buckingham Palace indicated it would "stand ready to support" police if approached regarding claims made against Andrew. This development follows years of controversy surrounding Andrew's association with Jeffrey Epstein, though the current investigation specifically focuses on allegations of misconduct in public office rather than previous sexual misconduct claims.
The statement from King Charles represents a delicate balancing act between family loyalty and constitutional duty. By expressing concern while firmly stating that "the law must take its course," the monarch acknowledges the gravity of the situation while maintaining the monarchy's traditional position of non-interference in legal matters.
Thames Valley Police have emphasized that their investigation will proceed methodically, with updates provided as appropriate. The force has significant experience handling high-profile cases, though none with the royal implications of this particular investigation.