Detectives investigating the attempted murder of a man who was stabbed while walking through a golf course in Stafford have released CCTV footage of the suspect fleeing the area.
Attack Details
The victim, a man in his 60s, was left fighting for his life after being knifed from behind by a stranger during the vicious assault on Thursday, 14 May. Emergency services rushed to the location on Newport Road near Stafford Castle and Castle Golf and Leisure at approximately 7pm and discovered the man collapsed on a bench.
Staffordshire Police has now published footage of the suspect, believed to be in his mid to late 20s and possibly of Eastern European descent. The CCTV, which captures the man fleeing from the location, was recorded in the Castlefields area moments after the assault occurred.
Police Appeal
A force spokesperson stated: "His behaviour at the time is significant as he was seen running away from the scene. Officers are urging anyone who may recognise him or saw him that evening to get in touch urgently. We're also asking people to think carefully about whether anyone they know returned home with any unexplained injuries or whose behaviour, either before or since the incident, is out of character."
The victim continues to receive treatment in hospital in a stable but critical condition, and a heightened police presence remains in the vicinity.
Investigation Progress
Detective Chief Inspector Ian Fitzgerald, the senior investigating officer heading the probe, stated: "This remains a fast-moving investigation, and we are progressing a significant number of enquiries. The response from the community has been tremendous, and I am grateful to everyone who has already contacted us with information. Anyone with information, no matter how small it may seem, should contact us as it could be an important part of the investigation. The victim remains in a stable but critical condition, so it's vital we identify this male as soon as possible. We understand this is concerning for the community. We're doing everything possible to identify and locate the person responsible."
Specialist officers continue to carry out extensive enquiries, including forensic examination, CCTV trawls, and detailed searches. An increased police presence remains in the area.
Community Reaction
Last week, locals expressed their disbelief following the knife attack near the golf course's putting green. Adrian Morris, a nearby resident, commented: "It's shocking. It's really not this type of area. We have a few kids on bikes and stuff, but nothing anti-social. Where it happened, it's a popular walkthrough up to the castle, and lots of people go up there. It gives you a lovely view of the golf course, it's really nice. I haven't heard of anything bad happening there. Me and the wife walk that route all the time."
Janet Williams, a local resident, said: "It's unbelievable. This is a really quiet and close neighbourhood. We will all be shocked for some time, it's just tragic really."
A spokesperson for the golf club confirmed that while everyone is coping well, they are "obviously shocked at the incident." They added that the course would remain shut for as long as required by police to carry out their investigation.
Ambulance Response
A spokesman for West Midlands Ambulance Service said: "We were called to reports of a stabbing on Newport Road. One ambulance, a paramedic officer, a MERIT trauma doctor with a critical care paramedic and the Midlands Air Ambulance Critical Care Car attended the scene. On arrival we discovered one patient, a man. He was treated for serious injuries before being taken to hospital for further treatment."
Those with any information are urged to contact police on 101, or submit details via a dedicated online portal. Alternatively, Crimestoppers can be reached anonymously on 0800 555 111.



