Three sisters who died in a tragic incident off Brighton beach may have been commemorating their mother, who drowned in a Birmingham lake years earlier, according to family members. The women had never fully come to terms with their mother's death in similar circumstances.
Details of the Tragedy
The bodies of Jane Adetoro, 36, Christina Walters, 32, and Rebecca Walters, 31, were recovered from the sea near Brighton beach earlier this month. The sisters, from Uxbridge, North West London, are believed to have travelled to Brighton without informing their family. Relatives now suspect they may have intended to honour their mother, Janice Adetoro, who died by drowning in Brookvale Park, Erdington, Birmingham, in 2010 at the age of 43.
Family Grief and Funeral Plans
The women leave behind a heartbroken half-sister, Lilly, 25, who lives in the United States. Step-mother Genevieve Barnaby-Adetoro said it is "right" for Lilly to take charge of funeral arrangements. "We've said she can be in charge of their homecoming and she wants it to be as beautiful as possible, with white caskets and white roses," Genevieve said. "She even wants a carriage to take them home, to honour them. We will ask her to pick their clothes."
Father Joseph is reportedly too emotionally overwhelmed to organise the funeral. In a tribute, he said: "Jane, Christina, and Becky were more than daughters to me; they were my joy, my strength, and the beautiful light that filled our family with happiness and love." He added that there are days when the grief feels "unbearable" but he holds onto memories and "the bond that death can never take away."
Uncertainty Surrounding the Incident
It remains unclear why the three women entered the water. Genevieve suggested they might not have been able to swim, but their aunt, Ajike Johnson, disagreed, recalling that Jane had swum at a water park in Bolton during a visit. "I'm sure they could swim," she said.
Sussex Police have confirmed there is no indication of criminality or third-party involvement. Specialist detectives are continuing to investigate, reviewing hundreds of hours of CCTV footage and conducting enquiries at businesses and properties near the beach to trace the women's final movements. Emergency services were alerted at around 5:45am on May 13 after welfare concerns were raised, and three bodies were recovered from the water near Madeira Drive.
Police Appeal and Inquest
Police are appealing for anyone with information, particularly those who saw the sisters near Madeira Drive between 10pm on May 12 and 5:30am on May 13, to come forward. Chief Superintendent Adam Hays said the force "will leave no stone unturned" in establishing the cause of the tragedy. "The thoughts of everyone at Sussex Police are with the family of Jane, Christina and Rebecca following this devastating loss," he said.
Those with information can contact police online or by calling 101, quoting Operation Ledmore, serial 438 of 20/05. A formal inquest into the three deaths is scheduled to open at Brighton coroner's court on Friday, May 29.



