Anne Hathaway teases Princess Diaries 3 without Julie Andrews
Anne Hathaway teases Princess Diaries 3 without Julie Andrews

Anne Hathaway has addressed how the upcoming Princess Diaries 3 will move forward following Julie Andrews' decision not to reprise her role as Queen Clarisse. Speaking to Good Morning America, Hathaway confirmed that the production team respects Andrews' choice and remains open to her return, while also revealing plans to bring back familiar faces and incorporate fan ideas into the script.

Julie Andrews' Retirement Confirmed

Last week (August 12), Julie Andrews announced she would not be part of the third film, citing her retirement from acting. In an interview with InStyle, she explained: “I think I probably passed. I think I’m retired, really, would be about the best description for that. [The film’s creative team] asked me all last year if I would be keen to do it. It was very very hard to say ‘no,’ but I did because I thought I had a wonderful ride.”

Andrews, who last appeared on screen in 2010 as Lily the Head Fairy in The Tooth Fairy, added: “This one I felt would flourish very well and wouldn’t need Granny going in there at my age.” Her absence marks a significant shift for the franchise, which has centered on her character's guidance to Mia.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Hathaway's Response and Creative Plans

Anne Hathaway, who reprises her role as Mia Thermopolis, told Good Morning America that she is “so ready” to film but the script is still in progress. Regarding Andrews, she said: “I think now it's news that Julie does not want to be a part of the third, which we, of course, respect. We're always open if she wants to change her mind. We'll turn on a dime.”

Hathaway emphasized that Andrews' departure opens new storytelling possibilities: “But that gives us an opportunity to really imagine how we are going to tell this story.” She also confirmed that the creative team is taking fan suggestions for the script, joking, “So if you want to see Mattress Surfing, put in your request. We'll see what we can do about that.”

Cast and Cameos

Regarding the ensemble, Hathaway stated: “The plan is to bring back everybody. The plan is for whoever wants to be there to get as creative as possible with the cameos.” This suggests that beloved characters from the first two films may return, though no specific actors have been confirmed yet.

The sequel was announced in 2024, with Disney confirming that Hathaway would return and that Adele Lim, co-writer of Crazy Rich Asians, would direct. Fans have been eagerly awaiting the project since Princess Diaries 2: A Royal Engagement (2004), and this update provides clarity on how the film will honor its legacy while moving forward.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration