Brothers Tiego and Richard Beckles Deny Murder of Trey Johnson on Christmas Day
Brothers Deny Christmas Day Murder of Trey Johnson

Two brothers allegedly launched a violent attack on a father-of-two outside a Wolverhampton club before he was stabbed to death on Christmas Day, a murder trial has heard. Tiego Beckles, 21, and Richard Beckles, 19, are accused of kicking and stamping on Trey Johnson as they held him down in a brutal brawl near De Fusion bar on Exchange Street, prosecutors say. Less than 30 minutes later, the brothers are said to have armed themselves with weapons and chased the 30-year-old dad when they crossed paths near their family home in the East Park area of the city.

Attack Outside De Fusion Nightclub

Opening the case at Wolverhampton Crown Court on Wednesday, August 19, prosecutor Mark Heywood KC said: "This case concerns two violent episodes which occurred within a short space of time in the early hours of Christmas morning last year." He continued: "The first incident was a fight outside the De Fusion nightclub, in Wolverhampton, at about 3am. Mr Johnson left the club with a friend and they were chatting as they walked across the road together, where Mr Johnson's car was parked. Tiego and Richard followed Mr Johnson outside and they crossed the road to confront him."

The alleged violence that followed was captured on CCTV, Mr Heywood said. He went on: "After what appeared to be a momentary conversation between them, the defendants began approaching Mr Johnson and kicking and stamping [on] him whilst he was on the ground, causing him, we say, a fracture to the orbit of his left eye. That he was not more severely injured at that stage was merely down to his good fortune than the intentions of his attackers." Mr Heywood said the alleged violence was broken up, but there was a further confrontation about 15 minutes later, near Burcot Avenue, in Wolverhampton, where the brothers lived with their mother.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Second Episode with Weapons

In this second episode of violence, the defendants were again the aggressors, Mr Heywood alleged. "Only this time, they were armed," he told jurors. Tiego had a baseball bat with him, while Richard allegedly had a large knife. Mr Heywood said: "They had no reason to approach Mr Johnson, but armed as they were, they chased after him. Mr Johnson ran away, but within seconds, he was stabbed in the chest by Richard."

The court heard how Mr Johnson died within minutes. CCTV footage captured the moment the 30-year-old became aware of his fatal wound, lifting his clothes to expose his bloodied body before collapsing in the street minutes later. Richard took off his T-shirt and handed it to Mr Johnson to stem the obvious bleeding, a move the prosecution says was because of his dawning realisation of what he had done. Paramedics rushed to the scene after the mother of the murder-accused brothers raised the alarm, but they could not save Mr Johnson.

Medical Evidence and Charges

A post-mortem examination indicated that Mr Johnson suffered bruising and a blow-out fracture of the orbit of his left eye. The stab wound to the right side of his chest penetrated the abdominal cavity, damaging a major blood vessel within the liver. It also caused significant damage to his rib bones, Mr Heywood said. The prosecution says both brothers are jointly guilty of murder. While Richard is said to be responsible for delivering the fatal blow, Tiego encouraged or assisted his brother when he deliberately armed himself with the baseball bat.

Neither defendant had a lawful excuse for what took place, Mr Heywood said. Of the charge of causing grievous bodily harm with intent, Mr Heywood said: "The prosecution say that you can be sure that the fracture of Mr Johnson's eye socket was caused at some point during that incident [outside De Fusion], in all likelihood, you may think, when he was being held down and kicked. We suggest, from the protracted nature of the violence, and the fact that Mr Johnson was being held down by one while being kicked and stamped on by another, that they both intended to cause him really serious harm."

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration

Defendants and Trial Status

Tiego, now of Broadgate Way, Wolverhampton, and Richard, now of Stafford Street, Willenhall, both deny murder and causing grievous bodily harm with intent on December 25, 2025. Richard also denies having an offensive weapon, said to be a knife, on the same day. Jurors have heard that Tiego pleaded guilty to one count of having an offensive weapon, a baseball bat, ahead of the trial. The trial continues.