Next Mandelson Files Release Delayed Again After Whitsun Recess
Next Mandelson Files Release Delayed Again After Whitsun

The release of the next batch of Mandelson files is set to be delayed once again, the government has confirmed. These documents, which detail the appointment of Peter Mandelson as the UK Ambassador to the US, will now be published after the Whitsun Recess.

In the House of Commons, Chief Secretary to the Prime Minister Darren Jones stated: "As I have previously said to the House, the Government will be publishing a second tranche of material. This is currently being finalised and will be one of the largest government publications ever laid in this House. This is reflective of the breadth of the motion and also the Government’s commitment and transparency in responding to it... Given the House is due to rise on Thursday, and given the length of the publication, the second tranche will now be published after Whitsun recess to give the House sufficient time to review the material and to be able to ask me and the Government questions."

Background on the Mandelson Files

The first wave of files was released back in March, with the Labour Party government previously agreeing to disclose thousands of documents relating to Mandelson's appointment in 2024. MPs had requested these files after questions arose over how the peer was vetted and what was known about his links to convicted paedophile Jeffrey Epstein.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Previous Developments

The first documents were originally due to be released on Wednesday, March 11, following Prime Minister's Questions. Reports suggested that the initial wave would contain due diligence on his appointment by the Cabinet Office, which was given to the Prime Minister in advance.

On February 23, the Metropolitan Police revealed that Mandelson had been arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office. The force launched a criminal investigation into the sacked UK ambassador to the United States after allegations that he had reportedly shared market-sensitive information with the late convicted paedophile, Jeffrey Epstein.

A Metropolitan Police spokesperson said at the time: "Officers arrested a 72-year-old man on suspicion of misconduct in public office. He was arrested at an address in Camden on Monday, February 23 and has been taken to a London police station for interview. This follows search warrants at two addresses in the Wiltshire and Camden areas."

The government maintains that the delay is necessary to ensure thorough review and transparency, despite criticism from opposition MPs who argue for faster disclosure.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration