A paedophile with a 'genuine and dangerous' interest in children has been jailed. Married Stuart Forsyth spoke in 'truly graphic' detail during 'appalling' online discussions about his sexual attraction to young girls.
The 45-year-old, of Clare Crescent, Bilston, thought he was talking to 'a paedophile like himself', but it was actually an undercover police officer. Forsyth was convicted by jurors of two counts of arranging or facilitating the commission of a child sex offence and one count of attempting to publish an obscene article between May and September 2022.
Sentencing this month, Judge Michael Chambers KC said Forsyth is a 'high risk man', adding: 'I'm driven to the conclusion that you are manipulative. You ran a classic defence saying that you were a paedophile investigator rather than a paedophile. The jury rejected that.'
Wolverhampton Crown Court heard how Forsyth began speaking online with the police officer in May 2022. Forsyth gave a 'false name' and 'made clear from the outset' that he wanted to talk about 'taboo subjects', including his 'attraction to young girls'. He believed the police officer had an 11-year-old daughter and arranged to meet up so he could have sexual activity with her, Judge Chambers said.
They decided to meet in Bristol, on the 'pretext' that they would be going to a concert, but no actual tickets were booked. Judge Chambers said: 'I'm quite satisfied that you did intend to have sexual activity. I'm quite satisfied that you would have pursued your aim.'
The court heard how Forsyth previously exchanged messages with an undercover police officer he falsely believed to be a paedophile in October 2020. He was also handed a caution in 2002 when he masturbated in front of a 16-year-old babysitter and tried to get her to touch his genitals.
Judge Chambers told Forsyth, who had no previous convictions, that the caution was a 'warning' handed him 'not to reoffend'. He added: 'I accept there is a decent, hardworking side to your character, but there is also a more disturbing side.'
Jenny Burgess, defending, said there has been 'no offending' since 2022 and Forsyth has 'removed himself from social media'. He is a 'loved family member and respected colleague', she said. Of references provided to the court, Ms Burgess said: 'What shines through is how shocked everyone was who knows him to have heard what he has done and how out of character, in their view, this kind of behaviour is.' Forsyth has 'never been in custody before' and 'will suffer as a result of that', she added.
Ms Burgess said the 'old' caution was handed to Forsyth 24 years ago, when he was 'only 25'. Forsyth was jailed for three years on Thursday, May 7. He was handed a 10-year sexual harm prevention order and was told he must remain on the sex offenders register for life. After asking for clarification on his sentence, Forsyth said 'thank you, your honour' before leaving the video link room at HMP Dovegate, near Uttoxeter, Staffordshire.



