Bystanders could have been injured 'or worse' during a 'reckless' petrol bomb attack at a city wedding venue, with children just feet away from one explosion, a furious councillor said today.
Wedding party guests and diners had to scatter after missiles, believed to be petrol bombs, were launched towards them as they stood outside the Royal Shalimar in Highgate Road in Sparkbrook at about 8.30pm yesterday, Wednesday, August 19.
Two supercars among a row lined up outside were damaged. Three people fled down Mole Road and into a getaway car after a total of five flaming objects were thrown at people and vehicles.
CCTV footage shows shocking incident
CCTV and mobile footage of the incident was circulating widely showing the incident in graphic detail.
Coun Jamil Khan, Better Birmingham Independents representative for Sparkbrook and Balsall Heath East, who lives nearby, said it was a shocking and worrying incident.
He said: "The footage is really shocking. Young people, and even a little child, are stood right there when the missiles land, one lands at the entrance to the restaurant. It could have been much, much worse than it was. It's very reckless and scary."
Councillor calls for action against anti-social behaviour
Coun Khan is also deputy cabinet member for community safety at Birmingham City Council and said this was an extreme example of the type of anti-social behaviour that must stop.
"This could have gone very wrong and we could have been talking about a much worse incident this morning. Thankfully we are not. This type of behaviour must be stamped out," he said.
He said he was in contact with the venue owners and police this morning to see what more could be done to identify the culprits.
He praised quick-thinking restaurant staff for dealing quickly with the incident and preventing the flames spreading and the emergency services for their rapid response.
He urged anyone with any information or mobile phone footage to share it urgently with the police.
Police investigation underway
Coun Khan said he had previously had conversations with Royal Shalimar owners about wedding guests letting off loud fireworks during night time celebrations amid complaints from residents. "But it is clear these were not fireworks, this was something else," he added.
West Midlands Police said today: "An investigation has been launched after two cars were set on fire in Sparkbrook last night (Wed). At around 8.30pm, we were called to Royal Shalimar on Highgate Road.
"Three men were spotted running down Mole Street before getting into a white Volkswagen golf and driving off.
"Fortunately, no injuries were reported. We have been speaking to witnesses and reviewing CCTV as part of our investigation.
"Anyone with information is asked to get in touch via Live Chat on our website or by calling 101 quoting log 5308 of August 18."
The Royal Shalimar is one of the city's prestige banqueting venues and hosts weddings and celebrations for up to 850 guests. It also operates a daily buffet dining operation, for up to 500 people at a time. It opened in 2023.



