Woman Quits City Job After Sex Attack Near Birmingham Landmark
Woman Quits Job After Sex Attack Near Birmingham Landmark

A woman was forced to quit her job in Birmingham city centre after being the victim of a sex attack near a famous landmark. The office worker was sitting by the 'Floozie in the Jacuzzi' fountain at Victoria Square when Roland Paskevics groped her. He then pulled down his trousers and exposed himself.

As she fled to find help, Paskevics targeted two other women, grabbing one on the chest and exposing himself again. The 37-year-old's actions sparked concern at Birmingham Crown Court, where he was alleged to have called a judge a derogatory name on a previous occasion.

Representing himself on Thursday, May 14, he said very little about the incidents other than to blame cannabis and loneliness. Paskevics, of no fixed address, was sentenced to two years and three months after pleading guilty to assault by penetration, sexual assault, and two charges of indecent exposure.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Details of the Attacks

All the attacks took place on June 4 last year. Peter Arnold, prosecuting, said: 'At about 5.30pm an office worker was sitting by the fountain in Victoria Square. The defendant came and sat right next to her. She felt uncomfortable and got up to leave. The defendant put his hand between her legs.'

He continued: 'She remonstrated with him. He and she were but a few feet or so apart. He pulled his trousers down to his ankles and exposed himself immediately in front of her. She walked off distressed. He walked off towards Birmingham art gallery.'

A witness comforted the victim, who went towards New Street Station to try to find a police officer. But Paskevics set his sights on two other females. Mr Arnold said: 'The defendant walked past in the opposite direction and squeezed one of the girl's breasts really hard. She followed him and remonstrated. He walked off. The two girls decided to follow him while contacting police. He walked to Cathedral Square and went to the middle of Colmore Row - a busy road. He stood there and pulled his trousers down exposing himself front and back.'

Impact on Victims

Police alerted by the first victim caught up with Paskevics and arrested him. In a statement, the woman said that after the incident she stayed in the house a lot more and suffered panic attacks when she went out. Mr Arnold added: 'She is concerned about people behind her. She left her job in central Birmingham because of the incident. She has been having therapy on a weekly basis and suffers from depression.'

The second victim suffered pain for several months after the attack. She spoke of fearing being outside and being close to people, adding that she now wore more baggy clothing.

Court Proceedings

Paskevics appeared in court via a video link from HMP Birmingham. Asked by the judge if he wanted to say anything, he initially replied: 'No your honour.' But when he was further prompted to explain his actions, he answered: 'I was under the influence of cannabis, that's all I can say. And the time spent alone. To be honest I have nothing to add.'

He declined to say any more about his background or personal circumstances. Paskevics had no previous convictions, however he had been cautioned for burglary in 2015 and an indecent exposure in 2024. Judge Simon Drew, passing sentence, told him: 'This offending is extremely concerning because you assaulted two women in the city centre in short succession and exposed yourself to a total of three women and probably many other people as well.'

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration