Residents have spoken of their shock after a petrol bomb attack outside a Birmingham wedding venue set two luxury cars ablaze, with children present at the event. The attack occurred on Highgate Road, Sparkbrook, outside the Royal Shalimar venue, where a wedding was taking place on the evening of Wednesday, August 19.
Dramatic footage captured the moment petrol bombs were launched, landing near a row of high-end vehicles, including a Lamborghini and a McLaren, at around 8.30pm. Three men were seen fleeing the scene, and a police manhunt is now underway to locate them.
Residents describe panic and screaming
A mother living on Mole Street, opposite the venue, told BirminghamLive she heard "screaming" and people "panicking" immediately after the attack. "I didn't see it, as it happened, but I came out and saw everyone screaming," said the woman, who asked not to be named. "Everyone was panicking. I could see the fire still going and then the police arrived."
Another local resident reported hearing banging and commotion around the time of the incident. "We saw people looking worried and banging sounds," she said. "The police were there taking down information. It's terrible. We also get a lot of issues with fireworks going off here too." Workers at a nearby meat factory said they had already closed for the day when the attack unfolded.
Councillor warns of potential for worse outcome
Councillor Jamil Khan, representing the Better Birmingham Independents for Sparkbrook and Balsall Heath East, described the incident as "scary" and said it could have been "much worse than it was." He told BirminghamLive: "The footage is shocking. Young people, and even a little child, were stood right there when the missiles landed, one landed at the entrance to the restaurant. It could have been much worse than it was. It's very reckless and scary."
The aftermath of the attack was visible the following morning, with scorch marks on one of the venue's glass windows and tyre marks on the ground indicating how close the flames came to the building. Two cars were set alight during the attack, according to police.
Police investigation and witness appeal
West Midlands Police confirmed that three men were seen fleeing down Mole Street before getting into a white Volkswagen Golf and driving off. No injuries were reported, and West Midlands Ambulance Service did not attend the incident. A police spokesperson said: "An investigation has been launched after two cars were set on fire in Sparkbrook last night. At around 8.30pm, we were called to Royal Shalimar on Highgate Road. Three men were spotted running down Mole Street before getting into a white Volkswagen Golf and driving off. Fortunately, no injuries have been reported. We have been speaking to witnesses and reviewing CCTV as part of our investigation."
West Midlands Fire Service also responded to the scene. A spokesperson told BirminghamLive: "Shortly after 8.30pm on Wednesday, August 19, we responded to Highgate Road, Birmingham. A fire engine from Highgate station attended, after two vehicles were deliberately set alight. One vehicle was made safe by firefighters. No one was trapped or injured. Police colleagues were also in attendance. We left this incident at 9.07pm."
Anyone with information is urged to contact police by calling 101 and quoting log 5308 of August 18. Information can also be shared anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.



